Kuala Lumpur, 9 December 2017 - Below are the summary of the press conference by Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) President, YH Dato’ Sri Mohamad Norza Zakaria of the 4th BAM Council Meeting for the year 2017 at Akademi Badminton Malaysia (ABM), Bukit Kiara, this afternoon:
- BAM Honorary Secretary, Datuk Ng Chin Chai has been appointed as Team Manager for Thomas Cup 2018 while Perak Badminton Association Honorary Secretary, Mohamad Zambri Haji Bahari has been appointed as Team Manager for Uber Cup 2018.
- Malaysia’s 2018 Thomas Cup/Uber Cup squad have been boosted by the appointment of Dato’ Lawrence Chan Kum Peng who contributed to the success of the illustrious 1992 Thomas Cup winning team with effective mental training whereas Frederick Tan from Majlis Sukan Negara (MSN) Pulau Pinang has been appointed as BAM’s Psychologist.
- AirAsia-BAM National Junior League State level was successfully held in all 15 of BAM State affiliates which saw a total participation of 2,930 players from 372 teams and 242 schools. Best players from each state will be participating at the National level which is set to take place from 11 until 14 January 2017.
- A total amount of RM2,785,140.58 have been paid out by BAM - RM753,747.94 to vendors, RM954,000 in State Grants to all of BAM’s State Affiliates and RM1,077,392.64 of prize money and match bonuses to BAM players.
- As per report from BAM Building & Facilities Committee, ABM is expected to be handed over to Youth & Sports Ministry Malaysia (KBS) complete with the Certificate of Completion and Compliance (CCC) on 19 January 2018.
- Pursuant to the meeting held between KBS, Ministry of Education (MoE) and BAM chaired by KBS Secretary-General, Dato’ Lokman Hakim Ali on Friday (8 December 2017), students are expected to be transferred in the first quarter of 2018 with their schooling at ABM. A consensus has also been reached that the students will be provided with six-subject Education model with Bahasa Malaysia, History and English as compulsory subjects.
- As part of the all-new public engagement policy, BAM will launch our own Twitter (@BA_Malaysia) and Instagram (@BA_Malaysia) accounts effective today to improve the flow of information coming from the Association and to serve our stakeholders, Malaysian badminton fans better.